How this Blog works
- For regular updates related to my travels, guiding work, film and book events or you are simply wondering where the heck I am at the moment, please visit: Travel/Guiding/Adventure blog.
-For South Georgia Expedition and Albatross updates as well as environmental articles of interest, please check out: Oceanmaid Ventures blog site )the site that you are currently on.
Cheers and thanks for your interest. Hayley
Tuesday, March 02, 2010
March 2nd Day 3
I woke up to snow, the pebbles and rocks like a patch work quilt and my tent now blending in with the mountains, snow-capped scene behind me.
Finally the communications between me and the NH have been sorted, we have discovered that there is a delay when sending and reciving emails and text messages by phone. so my ETA's and their weather text are coming in late so we all have to slow down a little and make certain we are in contact with each other.
Soon they will be able to move from their anchorage and be a little closer perhaps in VHF radio range. The weather needs to change for that to happen and it looks as though it may be turning to the SW.
Having spoken to ship staff from the two ships that have come into my vicinity - it seems as though I have done a Shackleton - chosen the wrong summer to come and do this expedition. Scott McPhail whom I have worked with for many years said to me, that yesterday was the worst weather he has every operated in while driving zodiacs in over the 13 yrs he's been doing it.
The wind howled last nite and twice I went out in search of even biggger boulders to put on pre-exisitng boulders, the gusts made my hair curl and I wouldn't be surprised that by the time I get to a mirror, a few extra greys may be there. Watch out Elephant seals, I'll be tying me and my kayak to them if the wind gets any stronger. I'm loving my hot dinners, deliciously tasty and instant, gourmet meals in a bag - Harvest Foodworks you rock!
So, likely I will see what the weather brings tomorrow and pack up and be prepared to leave. At least I can poke my head around the outside and see how it looks, I can always retreat and set up camp again if it's a no go. Patience is the key, and plans well thought through is the only way to go. From us here at Windy bay, the Furries and I wish you well. Hayls xo